Thursday, January 15, 2009

Tabata: can I be critical?

First read and watch this.

Back?

Didn't look like much of a sprint, did it?

But here's the thing: it's *your own* 100% effort in those 20 seconds.
I've found that it requires constant mental effort to keep up anything near "max" pace even for 20 seconds. And in the beginning - rounds 1 and 2 - I find myself holding back. Conserving (which maybe genetic, heh) my energy...
Constant attention is required.
All for a 4.5 minute exercise (Tabata first suggested 9 sets, not 8, AFAIK.)

So, think you're a stud?
Try it.

For openers, get one of these and try this... you'll thank me during phase 3 but hate me during phase 1. But c'mon - it's only three sets of three exercises!

20 seconds: High Knee Jumps
10 seconds: Rest
20 seconds: Sprint
10 seconds: Rest
20 seconds: Jump Rope
10 seconds: Rest
(repeat 3 times for total of 4.5 minutes)

When you High Knee Jump, it's as high as you can as fast as you can. When you sprint, it's all out, pump your arms, push, lean, go! When you jump rope, it's as fast as you can go. Double sprint. Fast swing. Go!

If you can do more than 5 High Knee Jumps in your 3rd round, I'll bet you didn't put enough into it.

No comments: