Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Weightlifter's Cephalgia, EIH, Exercise-Induced Headaches

Summary of the links below

Causes:
1) Leg Press or Squats plus high reps; occasionally bench press, low reps, new/returning lifters
2) Vasalva (pressure against glottal restraint... think Pavel's *Power* to the People but for 20 reps)
3) Neck strain... a bar across the traps, perhaps? Or the load of a Zercher squat?

Suggestions:
1) Fewer reps
2) See a doctor
3) See a chiropractor
4) Take aspirin 1 hour before workout, warm up, remember to breathe... maybe it won't happen again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is very interesting: thanks for doing the research! Something very similar happened to me upon doing deadlifts w/o really warming up well. I was planing on 3 sets of 10 @70% max and had a sudden onset blinding headache than nearly put me on the ground. I feared I was having a stroke. I STILL have a slight headache. I'll see my doctor but this post is a good start.

jm said...

Jerimiah,

My wife's an ER nurse - she thought I was having an aneurysm. That, coupled with the sudden, striking fear: I may not be able to do one of the things I love!

But, less than a week later, I'm able to start up again. Did heavy sets, requiring tightness/compression: one arm pushups, pistols, long sets of pullups (12-10-8...) without its return.

I've read there's migraine medication that eliminates the onset of EIH. Might be something to discuss with your doctor if the EIH prevents you from accomplishing your goals.

Hope you find your way through this!

jm