Saturday, December 6, 2008

Tonight's Workout

VO2Max Workout
Snatches w/ 16kg, 15 sec rest (8-9 snatches), 15 sec work
Completed 100 sets
According to Polar Heart monitor:
  • 55:59 minutes including warm-up
  • 630 calories burned
  • Heart rate average: 142
  • Heart rate max: 160
This is a prescription for a good long workout. But when I think about "VO2Max" workouts, I think of Tabata workouts. Full-out sprints, 20 seconds, walk/gasp for breath 10 seconds, repeat 9 times. Lung scraping, heart pounding, vein-popping disasters. This was more like running 5 miles at a low-moderate pace.

If VO2Max is "the maximum capacity for oxygen consumption by the body during maximum exertion" then I'm working something else entirely.

Now 24kg snatches, 8sec work (5 reps) / 12sec rest *does* get me to that gasping, can't go longer than 10 minutes, quivering mass of helplessness that reminds me of VO2Max.

I'd think, by definition, if your training program allows you to continue in an event longer than 10 minutes, you cannot be exerting/improving your VO2Max capacity.

But then I'm a guy in his garage. What do I know?
Still had fun.

No comments: